Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Lake of Fire and the New Creation...Day 23

A few months before I had swallowed the red pill of preterism I had begun editing and producing a teaching program called "Reality," with Pastor Britt Merrick. For those surfers of you out there you might recognize his name. He is the son of Al Merrick, founder of Channel Island surfboards. Britt is the pastor and founder of a church located in Carpinteria California by the same name as his radio program...Reality. I thought that this was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not only did I get to listen to some great teaching...But I was also getting paid to do it. 8)

Before Britt began his own church he was a youth pastor at a Calvary Chapel Santa Barbara. And so of course this meant that his teaching style pretty much lined up with Calvary Chapels distinctives. Which was great...Until I embraced a fulfilled view of eschatology. 8( And I must admit that it was kind of hard at first to sit and listen to hour after hour of teaching that I no longer agreed with. However...One of the unforeseen benefits of this was that it actually helped reinforce the fulfilled view that I was quickly learning about. Funny thing about this whole thing is that he spends a lot of time in his teaching proclaiming the typical pre-millenial futurist point of view. Matter of fact the most popular of his teachings was his end-times series. And here I was...A preterist...Producing one of the most popular programs airing on Calvary Chapel owned radio stations around the world. Helping promote a view that I felt was misleading. Eventually this would be one of the deciding factors as to my leaving the station.

O.k. So it had been about three weeks now since I had come to understand a fulfilled view of eschatology. I had just finished making my way through the New Testament, line upon line, verse by verse and I had some more questions. The one that I chose to address first was found in Revelation 22. It was the freshest of all seeing as how I had just finished reading the book. From the futurist perspective, Revelation 22 describes the conditions of a time in the future after Jesus returns, after the great white throne judgment takes place and after sin and death are destroyed and creation is remade anew. Basically a new creation in which righteousness dwells and sin and death has been eradicated. Yet I couldn't reconcile this with what I was seeing in Revelation 22.

Revelation 22:1-3 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him.

And so I thought...Wait a minute. If the curse had been reversed and sin had been dealt with why was there still any need for "healing of the nations?"

The next problem I encountered was just a few verses later. Verses 14-15.

Revelation 22:14-15 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

If this passage is to be understood quite literally we then have a major problem. You see...This passage is describing the New Jerusalem that is part of the new creation that takes place after the judgment in which sin, death and the devil have been eradicated and yet there are still, "dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie," outside the gates of the New Jerusalem.

And so I approached one of the pastors on staff that was teaching in our school of ministry with this conundrum of sorts. I first asked him about these leaves that were for the healing of the nations found in Revelation 22:2. He said, "I think it is better understood as they are for continual health rather than actual healing...You see, at this point they are in the new creation. There is no more sin therefore it can't be understood in a wooden literal sense."

I then asked him who these people were that are outside the city. His answer was that this was a picture of the eternal state of those that had died the second death. That is, those that had not accepted Christ before the last day. He pointed me back just one chapter to Revelation 21:8 "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

I said, "Wait a minute...If Revelation 22 is painting a picture of the eternal state beyond the great white throne judgment and the second death then how is it these people are still alive outside the gates the New Jerusalem?"

And he said, "Well you see...If being inside the New Jerusalem is the destination of those that believed then outside the gates would be the abode of those that didn't believe...The lake of fire."

And then I responded with Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city."

And then I said, "And who is outside the gates?"

He smiled and said, "Well...We need to be careful to not press the analogy too far." Or something to that effect. He smiled, turned and briskly walked away. Sigh...<---Long drawn out sigh. 8) It was passages like these that couldn't be satisfactorily answered within a futurist framework of interpretation that would eventually drive the final nail in the coffin of the "Left Behind" theology that I had been holding to so tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment